Jesus is Dead, Folks

In an Emmy acceptance speech, comic Kathy Griffin said that "a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus."

"Griffin drew laughs in her acceptance speech, saying: "Can you believe this shit? Hell has frozen over. Suck it, Jesus, this award is my god now.""

"The TV academy said her raucous acceptance speech will be edited when the event, which was taped, is shown Saturday on the E! channel." I rarely watch the E! channel, and what little I have seen has been quite critical of its subjects, so I'd guess at conservative editorial policy behind the channel.

The comedian's remarks were condemned Monday by Catholic League President Bill Donohue, who called them a "vulgar, in-your-face brand of hate speech."

"Vulgar?" This is ripe coming from a church that protected pedophile priests!

"Hate speech?" I guess that "Suck it..." is a tad rude. I would not have said it and I am an atheist. I would not have said, "Suck it, Dubaya" either. However, by overreacting to the speech its detractors have drawn considerable attention to a minor blip on the impoliteness scale and have made themselves appear petty.

Griffin is correct that Jesus had absolutely nothing to do with her winning the award. Jesus has been dead for almost 2,000 years, if he ever lived at all. Even if Jesus did once live, he's way beyond caring what Kathy Griffin says.


Home

No comments: